Friday, June 2, 2017

The Discovery of Silk

I thought that both sites we visited in Lyon, France were very interesting.  I did particularly like learning how silk was discovered.  Before going to the Madison des Canuts, I never would have guessed that a princess discovered how to make a strand of silk fiber, after a silk worm cocoon fell into her tea cup. This was a fun story to listen to and even more exciting to learn that the process of making silk fibers was kept secret, until spies were sent in to steal the secret.  What made the story so entertaining was that the spies were monks.  Overall, the silk workshop was very interesting and one of my favorite stops on the trip.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, Alyssa. It's kind of strange that humans have valued something that comes out of a bug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked watching our guide operate the loom more than learning the history of silk, but the silk discovery story was fairly interesting.

    ReplyDelete