Thursday, June 1, 2017

Silk factory

We visited the silk factory and it was a neat experience. I knew that silk was made out of silk worm, but I did not know what they looked like. The bug is very creepy. I thought it was very interesting that they got the silk from the caccoons of the bug and that they killed the bugs while they were in the caccoons before they can take the silk from the caccoon. I also really liked watching here do the hand threading on making the fabric and how they work the machines. Lastly, I think it is neat they could improve the machine to an electric loom so they can make items for ships and computers. The technology has really improved, but even though the workers had long hours I think it would still be neat to say that would made something by hand.

2 comments:

  1. I liked the silk demonstration too, Abbi. Silk had a big factor in showing-off one's wealth. It was interesting to hear about the silk that was woven for the king's room in a castle in Versailles. It shows that advances in sewing, weaving, and clothes-making have had large impacts on differentiating between the wealthy and the poor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with bug being creepy! I didn't even realize it was in there when I first got it. It was interesting to learn about how the silk was removed.

    ReplyDelete