Friday, June 2, 2017

Silk

During the trip to Lyon we toured the silk district.  What was interesting to learn was what silk came from.  I always knew that the silk was produced by the silk work in the past but I had no idea that it is still what is used to produce silk.  I learned about how their were factories in Asia and Brazil that have mechanicalized the process of getting the silk from the worm.  Another thing that I found interesting was that it takes four cacoons worth if silk to get one thread of silk when woven together.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was amazing that the price was so high for cloth. The rate at which the cloth was made, even with the help of automatic looms was also eye opening as the weaver needed to know where every color went and pass the color shuttles by hand.

    ReplyDelete