Thursday, June 1, 2017

Silk Production

Today we traveled to Lyon and we toured Tour of Maison des Canuts which produces silk and the part of the tour that intrigued me the most was how long it took to make and how expensive silk actually is. It takes about 8 hours to make only a 35cm square and about 3 days to produce a meter. The price of the meter long product was around $2000. The price can also depend on the color and if it was made with felt or not. In addition to the felt, when they made it, they made tiny loops with the material and then had to cut each loop with a blade. Weaving is very time consuming and I can now understand why it is incredibly expensive. 

5 comments:

  1. I agree that I now understand why silk and other hand woven products can be so expensive. I never would have guessed a meter of silk would take at least three, eight hour days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always heared that silk was expensive. After going to the silk district I now know why. Learning about the method and different types of materials was very eye opening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that it was interesting to learn that the silk district is still as active as it is. Weaving replacements even for the palace of Versailles. The different materials were also intriguing as it was fun to learn about what all can be made with woven materials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, I thought the actual weaving was interesting. Watching the tour guide weave the silk pattern was very calming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, I thought the actual weaving was interesting. Watching the tour guide weave the silk pattern was very calming.

    ReplyDelete